There are dozens of reasons why today's savvy charitable organizations are leveraging social media to raise funds and awareness for their cause. Gone are the days where the only non-profits that could reach mass audiences were those with uber advertising spends. Social media has leveled the playing field and provided an inexpensive, real-time, organic way to communicate.
Whether your charity is completely plugged in or just starting out, social networking is impossible to ignore if we wish to remain relevant and connected (literally and figuratively).
They key is to be strategic. Evaluate your ROI - both for time and funds spent. One way to maximize your time on-line and increase your efficiency is by using tools like Hootsuite to update your various social media profiles and schedule your messaging. We couldn't live without it.
Our favourite topical blog for all things social media for non-profits is the Non-Profit Tech 2.0: A Social Media Guide for Non-Profits. Check it out - you won't be disappointed.
Other great resources and articles for charities interested in Social Media include:
- 5 Essential Tips to Promoting Your Charity Using Social Media
- How Charities Harness Social Media to Raise Awareness, Money
- Charities and Social Media - The Return of Twestival
- Charities See Social Network Potential and Risk
- Can Social Media for Social Change Reinvent Charity Work? Maybe!
- Why Charities Need to Use Social Media
- 10 Ways to Support Charity Through Social Media
- How One Man Used Social Media to Raise $91,000 for Charity
Follow us on twitter @inspiredcharity.